Tuesday, 18 June 2013

Casualty FX Prosthetics Workshop....

Last week, I attended a Casualty FX Prosthetics Workshop at the Guru Makeup Emporium in London, it was held/run by Stuart Bray, who is a makeup effects artist in TV and Film.

I had such a great 3 days and learnt so much in such a short space of time, so I thought would share a little snippet with you... I won't go into too much detail because it can get quite complex...

For those of you that are interested in the process of creating this particular type of prosthetic appliance, you first of all start with sculpting (with clay, plasticine etc) to create your desired wounds... We were given reference images to design our wounds from, and of course Stuart gave us a nudge in the right direction.

The brief was to create a laceration, a bullet wound and a burn (see below my finished sculpts)



 Once the sculpts were finished it was time to create the moulds out of silicone...



Then lastly the moulds can be filled with a softer form of silicone to create the appliances...


Once the appliances have been created they can be attached to the skin with speciality glues, we used Prosaide, then the edges need to be smoothed away so that you get a seamless transition to the skin (this is the tricky part)...



The appliance may need to be coloured to match the person's skin tone before the fun stuff begins... Making it LOOK like a gory wound, we used alcohol activated paints and artificial bloods to create the effects... 

It is so satisfying getting to see the finished results after a few days of making the pieces! Because at the end of the day the most exciting bit is seeing your piece come to life (or death whichever way you look at it) and getting to create the GORE...




I am really pleased with the final results and I can't speak highly enough of Stuart, his workshops are all 'hands on' and he gives great guidance and advice, as much or as little as you want! 
I really enjoyed it and I hope I get the chance to attend another one of his workshops in the future!


I don't think many people realise how much time and effort goes into creating these gruesome wounds for TV and Film, so I hope you guys found this interesting :)




A x






0 comments:

Post a Comment